The Cast is Off… Now What?

On Wednesday morning the cast came off and the x-rays look like we are healing well.  Our surgeon says we have 30 days until Abi can do PT or ride horses, and I can see why. Not only does she need to be fairly still for healing to progress, but her pain continues to be super intense when moved. As soon as the cast came off, she began wailing and by the afternoon her spasms had come back in full force. It was a hard day and night, as it felt like we were back at square one with the pain and spasms. BUT, THANK GOD the spasms started to slow down throughout the evening and to our surprise, Thursday morning she woke up happy and still. (No spasms.)

She even took a 2 hour nap in my arms Thursday-  which was the first time in WEEKS that I could hold her for more than a few minutes at a time. SO GOOD.

I’m trying to be patient, but I’m so eager to be able to move her, put lotion on her legs, and carry her without such intense discomfort.  The slightest movement (even moving a leg half an inch) creates enormous flinching and sometimes screaming. And if she’s uncomfortable for too long, the spasms start up again.  That being said, I am ENORMOUSLY grateful for the progress we are seeing, the good looking x-rays, and the fact the surgeon was willing to see us a week earlier so Sean could be at the meeting.

I’m currently typing this from the couch,  listening to my gal sleep three feet to my right on an air mattress. Praying for an easy night and increased comfort for her tomorrow.

In a dream world we would go back to school next week. I’m hopeful.